Apr 1, 2012

How to Pray

Have you ever been accused of being a "Nag"?   When you nag you consistently communicate by finding fault or complaining in an irritating, wearisome, demanding, and relentless manner.  This type of communication often pesters, annoys, inflicts pain, discomfort, distress, and depression and even gives headaches to the loved ones around us. 
In a marriage this personality trait is not a good one to have but in our spiritual walk with the Lord this quality is good to have because when we loose our hope and trust in the Lord the first thing that happens is we stop seeking him and asking Him for His help and guidance.   

Pray at all times with every kind of spiritual prayer, keeping alert and persistent as you pray for all Christ’s men and women. Ephes 6:18 
"And he told them a parable, to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. He said," In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor regarded man; and there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, Vindicate me against my adversary. For a while he refused; but afterward he said to himself, Though I neither fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will vindicate her, or she will wear me out by her continual coming."  And the Lord said, "Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not not God vindicate his elect, who cry to Him day and night?  Will He delay long over them? I tell you, He will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will He find faith on earth?"  Luke 18:1-8
  
Jesus is telling us that we don't have to be a nag when it comes to our prayers but we are to be persistent and steadfast in them because we are His chosen ones and our Heavenly Father will vindicate us quickly.    
" You are chosen to be my servant and a witness to what you have seen of me today, and of other visions of myself which I will give you. I will keep you safe from both your own people and from the Gentiles to whom I now send you. I send you to open their eyes, to turn them from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God himself, so that they may know forgiveness of their sins and take their place with all those who are made holy by their faith in me." Acts 26:4-5
"And by these chosen people I mean you and me, whom he has called out from both Jews and Gentiles. He says in Hosea: ‘I will call them my people, who were not my people, and her beloved, who was not beloved’. ‘And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them, You are not my people, there they will be called sons of the living God’."  Romans 9:24-26
But when you pray, go into your own room, shut your door and pray to your Father privately. Your Father who sees all private things will reward you. And when you pray don’t rattle off long prayers like the pagans who think they will be heard because they use so many words. Don’t be like them. After all, God, who is your Father, knows your needs before you ask him.   
Matthew  6:6-8
Base your happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come endure them patiently, steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer.  Romans 12:12.   And He said to them, Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him; and he will answer from within, Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything? I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him whatever he needs.  And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.  What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?  Luke 11:5-12   
Here we see that if we have the simple faith of a child we can receive what we ask for so Jesus is telling us to ask our Heavenly Father because He loves us and He wants to give us good gifts.  One of the greatest gifts that He could ever give to us is the Holy Spirit so if you have not experienced the wonderful joy of being filled with Holy Spirit simply ask your Heavenly Father and He will give you this gift today.    And Jesus answered them, Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and never doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, be taken up and cast into the sea, it will be done. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.  Matthew 21:21-22 
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you receive it, and you will. Mark 11:24
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways, will receive anything from the Lord.  James 1:5-8
Just as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so go on living in him—in simple faith. Grow out of him as a plant grows out of the soil it is planted in, becoming more and more sure of the faith as you were taught it, and your lives will overflow with joy and thankfulness. Col 2:6
 

No comments:

Post a Comment